Monday, April 11, 2011

Big Boy Bed

Devan has really been struggling with sleep. So we decided to switch him to the toddler bed. Saturday morning Dustin switched the crib to a toddler bed. Devan liked it and thought it was a great place to play. But once it was bed time, it was the same old routine. He had another rough night Saturday. Perhaps it's the mattress??? So we brainstormed and came up with another solution. We know he likes to sleep in the big beds. So maybe we give him the guest bed? At least this way we can lay in bed with him until he falls back asleep. We think his biggest issue is night terrors. When he gets up at 4am he clings to you, almost choking you. And sometimes I hear him call out "Mama!".


Last night we moved the guest bed into his room. Of course, it was fun to play on it. The hardest part was getting him to settle down and sleep as this bed is usually where we "get cozy" and read books and play. It took him about 45 min before he was asleep. As he was winding down he would reach out and touch me, just to make sure I was still there. After he fell asleep I slipped out and went to bed. He slept from 11:45 to 6:10. Heading in the right direction! He woke up at 6:10 and I went in to put him back down. We laid down together and he wouldn't let me go. Finally I was able to slip him off and he put his arm around me. We stayed this way until he went back to sleep at 7:10. But, he was back up at 7:30. Must've heard the door open and close as Dustin went to work.


Today is a new day..... We just need to be patient and find something that works for him!

No comments: